No matter what holidays you celebrate, latkes are a delicious, paleo-friendly treat that can be enjoyed by all! Top with applesauce, sour cream, cream cheese, or enjoy them plain!
- 3-4 large russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup potato starch
- 2 cups cooking oil of choice – we like avocado oil for its high smoke point
- Peel & grate both the potatoes and onion.
- Place both in a colander and allow to drain for 5-10 minutes.
- After allowing to drain naturally, use a paper towel to squeeze out as much remaining liquid as possible.
- In a separate bowl, combine salt, potato starch and eggs.
- Heat up a large skillet and add the oil.
- While the oil is heating, add grated potatoes and onions to the egg mixture and combine well with your hands.
- The oil is hot enough when a tiny drop of liquid flicked into the pan sizzles right away.
- Create latkes using just under a quarter cup of the mixture until about ½ inch thick.
- Gently drop into the oil and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side until nicely browned.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool on a paper towel lined plate.
- Top with applesauce, sour cream, cream cheese or enjoy plain!